About Me

My photo
As I am currently studying Creative Writing at university, I basically wanted to use this blog to display some of my work and see what response I get. I'm hoping to display as much variety of writing as I possibly can and I happily welcome criticism, as long as it is constructive (not just abusive). Please enjoy, Laura l'écrivain.

Friday 28 January 2011

I dream of death

I watch the burial from a nearby tree
which bends above the six-foot hole.
From the wooden vault, I see the sun
through closed lids. I can see its scowl;
burning redder than my father’s fury.
Hand in hand, friends and family moan.
For them, it will be an endless death.
They pray, as I, Prey to the morning blaze,
am scorched in death
through mahogany finish.
Lilies conceal the staleness of demise,
just as much; the smell
of tiredness on my mother’s clothes.
Now she dusts the tomb with a silk
handkerchief, waves off the dirt and surrenders
to grief. My father shawls
an arm around her shoulder. Simultaneously,
I feel the same tender touch. Here is love;
unconditional, even in the afterlife.  Now,
he too is watching from a nearby tree
bending above the six-foot grave,
encasing a body no longer mine.
“Look after your mother”
he whispers to me, but only his cold breath lingers  
upon my lobe and I take his place round
my mother’s shoulder. It is not my death
and no longer a dream, but at least in dream
        you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment